Tuesday 5 May 2009

Blackboard Patent

The more I read about Blackboard's lawsuits against Desire2Learn for Patent Infringement, the more horrified I am. It is fundamentally wrong that a particular company can patent elements of e-learning. Desire2Learn's offer of donating $1,000,000 to non-profit schools and educational organizations is a classy move and shows where their priorities lie. I know little about them except they are LMS which you pay for, so I'm not that sympathetic. For me, the whole affair is contrary to the ethos and spirit of open source.

If I could I'd have nothing to do with Blackboard and paid for LMS's I would. But it's as if educational establishments don't trust anything that is free. Open sources and Web 2.0 is a new sharing, caring, democratic world. There is no catch.

Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment